Saturday, January 5, 2008

Spinster Entertainment

There is nothing I love more than a movie or tv show about a spinster making good. Usually this involves snagging a guy, but that isn't the be all end all. Sometimes in the really good shows the spinster comes into her own and becomes her best self-- more confident and sure of herself, more successful, etc. The guy is really just icing on the cake. Take for instance the recent movie Miss Potter. Without wearing a smidge of makeup Beatrix Potter (Renee Zellwegger) becomes a children's book mogul, stands up to her parents, charms Mr. Ware (Ewan McGregor), buys her own farm and in the process becomes a conservationist. All I can say is GO BEATRIX!
My other favorite shows about Singletons making good:

Bridget Jones Diary I and II; My Big Fat Greek Wedding; Persuasion and The Nanny.
Also entertaining to me is any movie based on something written by a spinster: This includes anything by Jane Austen, Charlotte Bronte or Louisa May Alcott.

Does anyone else have any favorites out there?

3 comments:

Kimberly said...

Strictly Ballroom!!!

Spinster in the City (SitC) said...

Let me add The Mirror Has Two Faces with Barbra Streisand and The Jane Austen Book Club.

Jessi said...

Hmm. I don't think I've given Jane Austen movies much of a chance. After reading these posts I'm curious to see them. It's been years since I've seen one.