Sunday, October 19, 2008

I need a housewife/husband/person

So I've decided one of the hardest things about being a single person is you have to do everything by and for yourself. There is no one there to pick up the slack. Not only do you have to work 40 hours a week to support yourself (or in my case go to school fulltime and have a part-time job and barely support myself), you also have to do all your own housework, laundry, pay all your bills, do outdoor chores, take care of your car, do all your own shopping and prepare all your own meals. You also have to worry about insurance, taxes, investing, saving and retirement all by yourself. It's a lot to do and it's exhausting. I think I understand why people really get married, it's to divide up the work that has to be done.

Plus who is there to look out for you and make sure you eat well or exercise or go to the dentist every 6 months? The other week I was eating terribly-like pizza and ramen noodles, etc. every night and I just thought wow, I wish I had someone to encourage me to take better care of myself. I mean you still probably have your parents. But they can and should only do so much. And your roommates, while a support, have their single selves to look after as well. Although it always is nice when you can pool your resources and make a dinner together or everyone pitches in on the housework.

But anyway, I think the reason why statistically married people live longer is they have that spouse looking out for them. Oh well, maybe one day I'll make some money and I can hire someone to help me out. But until then I will be harried and overworked or in a constant state of chaos or both. Good times!

8 comments:

Meg said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Meg said...

In my mental list of reasons to get married, this is definitely on it.

Holly said...

I was thinking about this very thing the other day.Thank you for posting about it. Sometimes it stinks having to be completely responsible for EVERYTHING!

Mormonja said...

I totally agree with this post. I went home this weekend for a day. It was so nice having somebody make meals for me. My mom even helped put clean sheets on my bed. It was so nice. I really could get used to it.

jennifer said...

I have felt this way, but after feeling the chaos of a toddler's b-day party this weekend, and just being able to walk away without worrying about changing my clothes, buying groceries for the family, how to afford said groceries and gifts for upcoming b-day parties, getting cranky kids home, etc., I decided handling the work, housework and expenses for my family of one ain't so bad at all.

Mormonja said...

Good point Jennifer. I know sometimes as a single person I think that married life is just going to be so much better, but different hard times come along. Just because one is married doesn't mean that life is easier.

jennifer said...

Although a cleaning service would be nice.

Anonymous said...

When I was in nursing school, the guys in my class had it so much better. They could go to work any time of the day or night, they always had a packed lunch, their house was clean and bright, their clothes were clean, their bills were paid, their children were taken care of and all of this for FREE! That's when I started wishing I had a wife. I mean, I'm not interested in dating women, but come on --- what's a girl gotta do to get that kind of help? Sigh.