Monday, August 17, 2009

Family vs. Single ward Update

Here's an update-So I've started attending the older single's ward with my roommate and the people are so so much more friendly than in my family ward. Many people have talked to me and introduced themselves, just the way people at church should. I just find it sad that a single person should be made to feel that the only way they can fit in is in a single's ward (at least in Utah). I call my new ward the Leper colony, not because the people there are in any way unwell, but because the community at large has forced us to associate only with ourselves and not with them. Which is really unfortunate, because single people really have a lot to offer a ward.

Anyway, please don't think that I let this subject consume me. I usually don't think about it until Saturday night when I realize that church is tomorrow. And this is a time of adjustment for me, so hopefully things will start to run more smoothly now. What I really wanted to do here is bring the subject to light and let my fellow spinsters know that, hey, I understand how you feel.

3 comments:

jennifer said...

The Leper Colony? Do you have to stand outside for a while first and yell, "Unclean!"?

Matt said...

Outside of UT, the trend is to have Mixed MSA/Family Wards where all 30s singles in the stake, all attend the same family ward together. So it's a magnet ward for Midsingles. You’re with families but have a large group of Midsingles too. It's the best of both worlds.

Spinster in the City (SitC) said...

Matt, I love this idea! How can we promote it in Utah. Sometimes soley singles wards seem artifical and unrealistic. I like to interact with all ages, although I do like to have a few other people of my same age and situation too.