Sunday, February 17, 2008

Plans Schmans

We spinsters are a transient lot. I myself haven't lived in any one house or apartment for longer than 9 months since living at my parents house. It seems I'm always moving for one reason or another, either I'm looking for better accommodations or I'm leaving for the summer or I'm moving away. I have had many many roommates, (62 counting my family and mission companions) some have been great and some have really not been great. But I'm not the only one, I know many girls who move around a lot. I don't know if its out of their desire or out of necessity. I would actually love to settle down and have my own house and plant a garden and stop being so transient, but it isn't that easy. It's hard for a single person to earn enough money for a house.

Some people think of being not married as having a lot of freedom, they think we can just pick up and go anytime we want. But the only problem is money, we have to get a job and support ourselves. I never really thought I would have to.


In Young Women's they prepare you for married life and that is what I planned on. I had a whole timeline of my my life drawn up in my journal when I was like 14. At 18 I would graduate from H.S., 21 graduate from college, then go on a mission, 23 get married, 25 have twins-Christopher and Madeline and so on. I hadn't decided whether to have 4 or 5 children, but I had covered the most important events. I never really planned on a career and having to support myself for the rest of my life. I think guys have it easier sometimes because they always planned on having a career so they have a headstart in knowing what they want to do and making that happen. At 25 I was like, 'what do I want to do with my life?' Well I knew that I wanted to have a family, but since that wasn't forthcoming, what else do I want to do? It's a question that I'm still asking myself. What now? The world is open to me, I can do just about anything I want to do, so what do I want to do? The number of options actually makes the decision harder instead of easier.

So what have I been doing, I worked for a few couple of years in Boston, because I thought it would be an good "experience". Now I'm back in school furthering my education. But what about when I'm done with that? Good question, I'll find a job and who knows where I'll end up-another move. I guess it's true that there are very few people in life who know exactly what they want to do and never deviate from their course. It might be nice to be one of those people, but it may also be true that plan N may be better than plan A, although you would never have guessed it. Maybe it's nice not to have the future set, it's more exciting and suspenseful. You just never know what could happen.

7 comments:

i i eee said...

It takes courage to enjoy it.

I don't know my future after this weekend; and I don't want to.

Anonymous said...

"I have had many many roommates, (62 counting my family and mission companions) some have been great and some have really not been great."
And the little french companion was so great! I mean she was fun and smart and sweet and always in a good mood....
Oh and she wanted to tell you that she really liked you. It was great to have a companion who knew more about the outside world than she did.
And Bllie Hollyday is a great actor! She really loved him in this movie with Meg Ryan.
Can you feel I have not slept a lot and I am sick?

Spinster in the City (SitC) said...

Yes she was a great one. She was lots of fun, up for anything, taught me how to make croque monsieur and put ice in my bed. LOL. Hey why don't you come visit me sometime, we can relive the past.
Hope you get better soon, thanks for reading and commenting.

Anonymous said...

"I never really planned on a career and having to support myself for the rest of my life."...funny, you're one of the girls I thought would actually have a career. I mean CAREER. Not that I never pictured you with kids but I thought that your potential was too great to be waisted.
I guess I was wrong.

Anonymous said...

Hi, I'm an old teen reading your blog. I'm taken aback! You've got so many possibilities and you don't do anything to make them useful. When I see friends who work really hard and don't have a so good result, somewhere I'm sad. You really should set a career and "build something".

Spinster in the City (SitC) said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Spinster in the City (SitC) said...

Ouch, dr. Hell. Just because I don't have a great career doesn't mean I've wasted my potential. I hope!!! :)Honestly I think the emphasis put on careers in our society is too great. I'm mean just having a successful job, can't fulfill you as a person. And if I don't choose the "right career" does that mean I'll be unhappy? There's just too much pressure in making career decisions. Which is why Old Teen it is hard to "set a career". I just don't want to make the wrong choice. If that is possible, I mean I can always change my career. A lot of people have several different careers in their lifetime right?. It just seems to get harder and harder the older you are.