Wednesday, October 28, 2009

The Sounds of Spinsterness

I've written about spinster movies and tv shows before, but never about spinster music. I had never really thought about it before until I recently discovered the music of Feist. Ok I'm probably late to the game on this discovery, but she is wonderful, amazing and I love all, yes, every one of her songs. And her music just seems to resonate with the spinster in me and as far as I've been able to find out she is herself a spinster. Some of my favorites of hers that have spinster themes to me have to be "Secret Heart", "Mushaboom", "I Feel it All", and"1234."
See http://www.listentofeist.com/.

So that made me think about what other music I find particularly suited to spinsterhood. I would definitely add to the list most things sung by Billie Holiday, especially "Lover Man" and "You Go to My Head." Dixie Chicks also have empowering music for spinsters, like "Wide Open Spaces" and "Earl had to Die." Does anyone have any ideas who else could be added to this list?

2 comments:

Scully said...

I realize she is socially disgraced right now, but LeAnn Rimes's "Something's Gotta Give" strikes a chord with me, spinster-wise. Also, most songs by Sara Bareilles. And lots of Etta James's ballads, with the exception of "At Last," which I now unfortunately associate with crappy cat food commercials.

Spinster in the City (SitC) said...

Thanks Scully I'll have to check out Sara Bareilles, I haven't heard of her and I'll give listen to "Something's gotta give" too.