Monday, March 22, 2010

Dilemma


Well I've been out here for a whole month! I love it mostly, but it's actually a lot harder than I thought it would be. First off I don't really know anyone but my roommate in the area. Which leads me to the question I've been asking myself for over a week. If you are no longer in a singles' ward and there are not a lot of LDS singles your age in the area, how do you make friends or meet guys?

Am I going to have to start online dating? Because I've been trying to avoid that for years! Am I going to have to look for platonic friends on Craigslist? Going to a bar is not really an option. I'm really kind of isolated, because my roommate, although awesome, is older than me and works nights and at work I don't have many co-workers.

On Saturday, in an effort to meet people, I went to a LDS 31+ singles dance an hour away all by myself. It was a big group of people but I was in all honesty the youngest person there. There were folks there in their 70's! Bah, I love spending time with people older than me, just not at a dance where I am supposed to be meeting people to date. It was strange. But I did meet a few girls and one guy that were around my age and that was good, but they all live far away from me. Oh well at least I tried, right?

5 comments:

jennifer said...

I think it's impressive you went to an activity by yourself. Plus, you got to be the youngest, hippest person there!

When I've been in areas where young adult wards are non-existent, or the closest young adults were an hour or more away, I've found that honesty is the best policy. I've simply told people in the ward that I'd like to have a mix of both single adult and family ward friends. So, if they know of any activities or people I could get in touch with, that would be great. Sure, it might be a brave approach, but you are already brave enough to go to activities on your own.

Anonymous said...

I was thinking the same thing as Jen! IMPRESSIVE that you made the big time effort! Sorry it was a dud! I'm dreading the move from singleward to homeward (already passed the RIPE ol' age, but thankfully I haven't been kicked out yet). It's a WEIRD stage to be in! A little like limbo!

Anonymous said...

Giiiiirl, we need more UPDATES!! =) Fellow spinsty!

Anonymous said...

I am LDS and got married when I was 39.5 years. Happily married and have 2 children. Congrats on your blog, it is a fun read. Keep it up! The title is great.
I am empathetic and want to give you tons of advice, but I don't think you really need it! You seem to have a great attitude.
I hated being single. While I had a lot of fun and did much, there was the ever-present nagging of wondering where I belonged. Too much freedom for me! I also longed for children, which I could not dispel, no matter what.
So this is my only advice: keep your head up, keep your standards up. The only real regrets I have are that I did not acquit myself very nobly in my single years and couldn't run for president. ever.
So, be truer than me and have LOTS of fun while you are at it. I also had to learn to flirt. It was hard. When I met my husband, I "set my cap" for him and pursued him shamelessly.
BTW, being married is almost as much of a challenge as being single for me!

Spinster in the City (SitC) said...

Thanks for sharing your story. I don't mind good advice. Keep it coming. And thanks for reading and commenting.
SITC