Saturday, January 19, 2008

Spinsters get their facebook on

So I looked up spinster groups on facebook and apparently I have come very late to the game. There are already 114 different Spinsters groups on facebook! Two of which I joined-"Everyone needs a little Bridget [Jones]" and "D*** it feels good to be a Spinster". Why did I choose those particular ones? Well I joined the first cause I'm a Bridget Jones Fan (edited version of course!) and I joined the second one because it was funny and it was one of the only groups that didn't talk about becoming a cat lady. Apparently in many peoples minds "cat ladies" and spinsters are inseparable beings. And the number of women that liked the idea and the number of them that abhorred that idea was split down the middle. Also it seemed that a lot of the spinster groups were created by girls in England and Australia. Do those Isles have a disproportionate number of spinsters compared to the rest of the world???
But I digress, back to cat ladies. It seems that society has lumped spinsters into a few different groups. So lets go over the supposed categories of spinsters.


The Cat Lady, also known as the Crazy Cat Lady: Apparently she has given up on human interaction and filled that need with cat ownership. She lives in a small abode with 5 plus cats and leans in the direction of eccentricity. Oh and apparently she even has her own action figure (this is real!)
While I'm not going to say this kind of spinster doesn't exist and I'm not going to say I haven't met a few of them, this does not represent the Gen X spinster. Spinsters do not have to own cats, I think we come a long way since then.


Librarian Spinster: It seems to me that some jobs will always be linked spinsterhood and being a librarian is one of those jobs. Why? I'm not really sure. In the past maybe the traditional librarian "uniform" of glasses-on-a-rope, hair in a bun, cardigan and long skirt was just not appealing to the opposite sex or maybe librarians just found books so much more interesting and intellectually stimulating than the men they knew. The world may never know, but this kind of spinster is supposedly dowdy, bookish and shy. Ahem, this is not today's spinster either. Today's spinster can have any career and has much more flair.

The Bitter Spinster: This is the man hating, bitter, seething spinster who is epitomized by the character, Miss Havisham, in Great Expectations. She has been scorned by love and exacts her revenge on every male that crosses her path. Personally, I think this is what a lot of men think all spinsters (and sister missionaries) are like. They think that spinsters hate men and are just plain angry because they "couldn't snag a guy." Who really has time for all that anger and vengeance? It consumed and ruined Miss Havisham's life, take note. While modern spinsters may go through bouts of loathing the opposite sex, it's not long before they are back to living their busy lives.

I love this picture. HA!

Well that's all the categories I could come up with for now. If you can think of anymore please comment.

2 comments:

i i eee said...

What about the Sexpot Spinster? The irresistibly talented, gorgeous, intellectual woman who is without equal?

Cough. Okay. But you know...a little of that, maybe right? I'd like to think there's room for such a category.

Librarians have evolved into some sort of naughty fantasy now. I remember I used to work at a library, and when I would tell guys where I worked, they would respond with, "Ohhhh, are you a librarian?"

The sad part was that they would ask me this question AFTER I had explained to them that I was still in school getting my BA. Helllloo! You need a masters to be crowned librarian. :)

Spinster in the City (SitC) said...

You are so right, the sexpot spinster does exist and needs to be added to the list. Isn't that the kind of spinster we're all striving to become?
As for the naughty librarian, I don't know where I stand on that. I kind of like the idea that guys are wondering what those librarians are REALLY like, because of course every woman has a wild streak, even if it's hidden deep down inside. And isn't that what we want people to think about spinsters-that the are well-rounded individuals not stereotypes!